Art and Design at Henry Whipple Primary School
At Henry Whipple Primary we believe Art and Design provides children with the opportunity to express ideas, feelings and knowledge through imaginative creation. We aim to provide a diverse and stimulating curriculum through a cross curricular approach in which every child's response is unique.
Our curriculum aims for Art
Our aims in teaching Art are that all children will build upon their natural pleasure in visual communication to:
- Find enjoyment in creative art and see themselves as artists.
- Find a sense of purpose, achievement and fulfilment in artistic expression within a multicultural society.
- Appreciate and evaluate the work of a range of artists from their own and other cultures.
- Develop skills to use a range of materials and techniques competently.
- Feel able to express their ideas and feelings through imaginative creation in both two and three dimensions.
- Develop an appropriate vocabulary to help them understand and discuss their own work and that of others.
Our curriculum aims for Design and Technology
Our aims in teaching Design and Technology are that all children will benefit from a broad, rich and personalised curriculum in which they have the opportunity to:
- Think imaginatively and talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making.
- Build on early childhood experiences of investigating objects around them.
- Explore how familiar things work and talk about, draw and model their ideas.
- Learn how to design and make safely, products that are fit for purpose.
- Understand food and nutrition and have opportunities to learn how to cook.
- Use ICT as part of their designing and making.
- Develop and use a range of common practical skills, in contexts such as mechanical, diagnostic and repair tasks.
- Think about what products are used for and the needs of people around them.
- Plan what has to be done and identify what works well and what could be improved in their own and other people's designs.
- Understand and (where appropriate) use the design cycle of planning, developing prototypes, modifying, making and evaluating.
- Investigate the rich history of design and technological innovation in Britain and further afield, from the Industrial Revolution onwards.
Our Curriculum Focus
- Provide targeted Art / Design and Technology experiences across all Key Stages, linking Art and Design Technology to others areas of the curriculum.
- Monitor Art / Design and Technology teaching across the school.
- Interview children and record their views to inform the future planning and teaching of Art / Design and Technology.
- Develop cooking in school and work towards the silver Food for Life award.
- Work towards achieving the Artsmark award for our Arts curriculum and provision.